Saturday 19 April 2014

Taking a video of my wheel during driving using cheap car camera


Few months ago, I got a car camera as a gift. At first I thought how cool it is, but to be honest, it's useless for my trips to work and back. Of course there is always a chance of getting into an caraccident, but...
And the need of hiding it everytime I leave the car - so no one will try to get in my car to steal it...
Well... it ended up on one of my shelves, getting covered in dust slowly.
But few days ago, when I was watching cars on youtube, I got an idea.
I could use the car camera as an outdoor camera (like GoPro) and try to take some videos like the others do. Aiming my camera on the wheel or simply in the direction of my way but attach it on hood, roof or somewhere else...
I was always amazed by videos where you could sometimes see the cars front wheel rolling for few seconds.

So I grabbed my camera with it's holder (with suction cap, that is normally used to get the camera attached on windshield), car keys, few paper tissues, a window cleaner and went to try it.

I was a bit afraid of the camera falling from my car, breaking into pieces (it has and lcd and cheap plastic covers, so I'm sure it wouldn't survive it), but I took the risk and drove with it around the street. But after all, it wasn't so risky. Because I was only going about 30 to 40km/h (max 50km/h but I doubt it) and always for only a small amount of time. Plus, the suction cap on the holder held tight on the cars cleaned paint.

Here are some photos of the camera attached on the car:

BenQ - Road safety recorder - plastic crap from china

Yeah, these are not the best looking wheels to film :D

And here is the result:



I know the video quality is horrible, that camera acts like it supports HD, but the resulting video quality is far from HD...
I will try to make more videos like this when I'll have more time. Will even try to use the camera in higher speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment